GREEN LIGHTS/RED LIGHTS OF A DANCE TEACHER
These are the signs to look for in a good dance teacher. Green is for good to go!
• Gives clean, clear instructions
• Easy to follow and lead
• Protects you
• Dances at your level
• Patient and kind to all partners
• Open to questions and repeating demonstrations
• Has an attitude of constant improvement
• Continues to learn and train themselves
If a teacher displays these characteristics, beware! Red is for stop and look elsewhere.
• Is rough or cause you pain
• Doesn’t care about your level
• Poor ability to dance around other couples
• Easily frustrated by a beginner student or partner
• Self-taught or learned socially (no formal dance or teaching background)
• Has been dancing for a short time
• Doesn’t look up to other professionals
• Only wants you to learn from them
• Only recommends the most expensive learning options
• Doesn’t ask you what you want to learn and where you want to go in your dance life
• Parties but doesn’t take classes with other professionals
A good dance teacher is not everything in learning to dance, but it can make your progress faster, smoother, & more fun!