Tips for Followers:
• Clear your mind and concentrate on your partner.
• Listen to the music, but avoid counting beats.
• Stop analyzing anything except the signals your leader is giving you.
• Don’t think of any specific steps.
• Follow the Leader’s chest.
• Be on the lookout for change.
• Don’t anticipate the next move or step.
• Keep in a receptive state of mind.
• Don’t try to memorize a pattern of steps.
• Try to maintain your own balance.
• Commit your weight to the foot you are stepping onto.
• Suspend the impulse to worry about where you are going and what you are doing next.
A follower can listen in many different ways to her partner:
• his body motion,
• his hand pressure on her back or side,
• visual cues, or
• signaling with subtle movements of eyes, head, etc.
THE THREE LAWS for Followers:
1. Never hold on;
2. Never let go; and
3. Don’t think, just do it.
if he doesn’t give the signal, you do nothing. If he gives the wrong signal, you forget what you were expecting to do, and follow the signal he gives instead. No exceptions.